Rejuvenate your skins appearance with Microdermabrasion at Skin Doctor SA in Semaphore
Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure in which the stratum corneum (the dead outermost layer of the skin) is partially or completely removed by gentle abrasion and suction. The term dermabrasion refers to the more severe medical procedure carried out under light or general anaesthesia.
The technique of microdermabrasion relies on two basic functions:
- Superficially abrading the skin with fine, sharp crystals (usually aluminium oxide) which bombard the skin surface under pressure.
- A vacuum closed-loop suction device to remove the crystals, along with dead skin, oil and surface debris, as well as the tiny keratin plugs which cause blackheads and acne.
Microdermabrasion is most frequently used to improve rough, dry and uneven skin texture, and for prevention or treatment of acne, blackheads and large pores.
Other applications include acne scarring, mild superficial wrinkles, melasma and keratosis pilaris.
Advantages of microdermabrasion
Microdermabrasion has the advantages of low risk and rapid recovery compared with other techniques such as standard dermabrasion, chemical peeling and laser resurfacing.
- Anaesthesia is not required
- It is almost painless
- Facial redness is minimized
- Simple and quick to perform
- Can be repeated at short intervals
- Does not disrupt the client’s life greatly